Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Crunchy Oatmeal Cookies


I love oatmeal cookies! I like them with or without raisins. I love soft chewy ones or crunchy granola type ones.

I looked through my trusty 1987 copy of the Pillsbury's Cookbook and was shocked to not find a recipe for plain oatmeal cookies! So I went online to find a good crunchy oatmeal cookie recipe. One of the first pins was just what I was looking for. I am usually skeptical of Pinterest recipes after so many duds but I figured I'd try it and do a review/post.

The original link can be found here: Lotti + Doof - Oatmeal Cookies

This recipe makes 24 cookies using 2 tbls of dough each

Ingredients: 

-1 cup flour
-3/4 teaspoon baking powder
-1/2 teaspoon baking soda
-1/4 teaspoon salt
-14 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened, but still cool (65 degrees)
-1 cup sugar
-1/4 cup light brown sugar
-1 large egg
-1 teaspoon vanilla extract
-2 1/2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
-Foil (Original recipe says parchment paper, but foil worked fine for me)

1. Preheat the oven to 350 and put the rack in the center of the oven.
2. Using a standing or handheld mixer, mix the butter and sugar together at medium-low speed for 20 seconds. Increase speed to medium and mix for a minute or until light and fluffy.
3. Scrape the sides down and add in the egg and vanilla. Mix on medium-low for 30 seconds or until well mixed together.
4. Add in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and mix until smooth.
5. Slowly add in the oats while the mixer is running on low. Continue mixing for about 20 seconds.
6. Place foil or parchment paper onto a the largest baking pan you have. Scoop out dough with a tablespoon (for measuring not eating. haha) and put two tablespoons of dough together in groups around the pan. Dough should be 2 1/2 inches apart.
7. Roll the groups of dough (two tablespoons) together to make a ball and then place them on the baking sheet. Press down on each ball to flatten slightly to 3/4 inch thick.
8. Bake for 13 - 16 minutes. Original directions say to rotate the sheet halfway through baking. I didn't do that and they came out fine.
9. Cool cookies on the sheet and transfer to a wire rack. I waited about 5 minutes and then transferred them to a piece of foil on the counter top.

Next time I make these I will probably add 1/2 cup of raisins.



Share and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment